Weaboo Trash and Beyond
Yo.
Chatbox

Backup Cbox

Dire Forest: Origins

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by Kyra on Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:11 am

So, some of you participated in my RP site, Dire Forest. But I don't believe it was widely known that Dire started out as a novel I wrote during a camping trip when I was eleven. The original script depicted two sisters who, after being abandoned in the woods by an abusive uncle, were each adopted into the warring clans that inhabited the forest; One sister into the Pack, and one into the Coven. Though the original plot involving the sisters has been abandoned, I still feel the original novel has a lot of excellent story to it. And, being one of the only stories I've actually ever finished, a special place in my heart. So, I've decided to revive, and rewrite Dire under a new plot--one that coincides with the plots of the RP site. It's mostly for fun, but I do think those that enjoyed the RP site might enjoy the original story as well, so I've decided to post it here for all you lovely people to read should you like. 

The story will be told in two parts; From the perspectives of Binx and Skylar. I hope you like!

"Though the legend of our creation has been lost to the lengths of time, one thing is certain about the two races that inhabit this forest; in the beginning, there was peace. The beings that live here once shared a kinship unlike any other, a brotherhood of sorts. But like most siblings, distain broke out between us. Squabbles turned into feuds, and the feuds into battles--and before either knew it, a war between the wolves and the vampires was upon us. For millennia, the two fought, and blood was shed in equal amounts until there was only a scattered few left. We were on the verge of extinction, brought to the brink by our own hatred for each other. Only when a peace treaty was signed by our elders was there calm--the forest was split between the two races, and strong borders set. Neither was meant to cross, unless permitted, and even then at the mercy of the other's leaders. Contact between the two was limited to the border patrols we have today. This is how it has been for the last hundred years--and for the sake of our existence, this is how it will stay.
Do you understand?
Yes, papa..."
Kyra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Dire Forest: Origins

Post by Kyra on Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:13 am

Binx One:  Red Stones.

"Binx? It's time to wake up, darling..."
The brown pup groaned, burying her small pink nose deeper into her mother’s fur, enjoying the familiar scent of milk and ash-wood. She whined in protest as a rough tongue ran itself down her small back, the wet making her shiver in the dewy air.
"Come on now, sleepy-head. The sun's been up for hours," her mother scolded, continuing her licking. Grudgingly, Binx opened her bright gene eyes to glare up at the pale amber wolf above her. The she-wolf only laughed in response, standing in the small den and nudging her daughter. "What is your father going to think, hmm? Looking at your mother in such a way..."
Binx yawned, shaking out her downy pelt and fluffing it against the small chill in the air. It was early spring in Dire, and while the snow had melted and turned into the river that ran through their home, winter still gripped at the edges in the form of frosted leaves and clouded breaths.
Binx's birth had been late into the season--snow had already begun to fall when her mother went into whelping. It had caused quite a stir among the pack, and many feared that she wouldn't make it. But, true to her heritage, Binx had proved to be strong and lively, and had braved the winter in the safety of the Alpha's den with her mother, Lyra. But now, with the warmth of spring in the air, and the snow gone, it was time for the little Alphess to show herself to the pack.
Her mother licked and prodded her daughter, much to her discomfort, until each and every hair was in place.
"Are we going outside, mama?" She pipped between washings.
"Yes, dear--it's time for you to meet the rest of the pack," She smiled, "Your father's been waiting all winter to show you off, you know."
"Pack? What’s a pack, mama?" Binx turned her head, confused by the new word.
"Well, it’s a group of wolves, honey--it's what we're part of, and what your father is leader of," Lyra smiled and licked the top of her pup's head. "And one day, you'll be in charge of it too. Now come, it's time you met everyone."
Standing and shaking out her pelt, the amber wolf moved toward the mouth of the den, Binx padding quietly at her heels. When they were nearly to the opening, the brown pup skipped in front of her mother, the excitement getting to her. Blinking through the brightness, she gazed at the world around her for the first time since her birth.
"Whoa...." She breathed, green orbs spreading wide in the morning light.
Around her, wolves of every size and color were lolling and playing in the spring warmth, greeting the new season energetically. Dotted around the clearing were tall creatures too, lanky and upright, wearing bright patches of cloth. The pup stared in awe as one of the wolves opposite of her began to shift and morph until it too stood upright and hairless, covered in the odd colored patches.
"Mama, what are those?!" Binx blinked, awestruck but undaunted by these new creatures.
Lyra laughed, amused by her daughters innocence. "Why, there other wolves, Binx. Like you and me--those are their human forms. One day, you'll be able to shift like them, and have your own human form."
"Really?" Binx yipped happily, watching as another wolf shifted, and embraced one of his pack mates.
"Lyra!"
A voice called, and both mother and daughter turned to watch an old gray wolf approach, a much younger black wolf at his side.
"That’s our Doctor, Abel--and his apprentice, Joe. They take care of us when we're sick or hurt," Lyra explained to the wondering pup. Binx's tail wagged and she bowed politely as the two stepped closer.
"Good to see you two have finally made it out of the den!" Abel smiled, his old eyes sparkling. He bent down to sniff at Binx, who licked his nose. "Ha! Is this the same little scrap I delivered last fall? How she's grown..."
"Very. Maithus should be here any moment to announce her to the pack, properly. Its time they met their future Alpha," Lyra boasted prideful. Binx was her first pup, and she couldn't wait for everyone to meet her beautiful daughter.
"Very good, very good... Ah, and here’s the proud papa now--How was the patrol, Maithus?"
Binx turned her head, nose wiggling as a familiar scent wafted toward her. Her ears perked happily as she spotted the large black wolf trotting toward the small group.
"Daddy!" She cried, tail wagging fiercely as she ran to the approaching alpha.
"Binx!" He smiled, laughing heartily as the pup bundled toward her. With an easy motion, the alpha scooped his daughter up and placed her gently between his huge shoulders, her small figure fitting perfectly between the grooves. "I see you've finally come outside, little one. What do you think? Isn't your father's pack wonderful?"
"It's huge out here, Daddy!" Binx yipped, causing her father to laugh again.
By now, Lyra had made her way toward the pair, glowing with happiness as she nuzzled her mate, enjoying the closeness after such a long winter. "Maithus..." She breathed contently as he nosed her back.
"Shall we start the ceremony now, my dears?" Maithus smirked, "I have a feeling that there’s more than a few wolves who'd like to meet you, Binx."
The pup nodded excitedly, even if she didn't quite understand the situation. It seemed to matter to her parents, and that’s all that she cared about.
Taking her up by the scruff, Lyra carried Binx toward the middle of the clearing, followed closely by Maithus. Setting her down at her parent’s feet, her mother instructed for her to sit quietly, as her father raised his head and gave a low, long howl--assembling the pack. Binx's nerves grew as the wolves and humans gathered around her, full of curious gazes and questioning glances. Of the ones that gathered close, a few pups appeared around their legs, leaning in to sniff at her curiously. Binx shied away, nudging her mother's legs, slightly overwhelmed by the sudden amount of attention.
"Dire Forest pack!" Her father began, his voice booming prideful through the clearing. "Today is a glorious day. Now that winters fierce claws have released our hunting grounds from its icy grip, my mate has come to once again enjoy pack life. And with her, my firstborn daughter-- BinxAnne Taylor!"
Whoops and howls of jubilation echoed around the clearing, the news spreading in waves of joy and excitement through the gathered wolves. An heir had been born! As the wolves quieted their voices, the alpha spoke again.
"Your excitement is shared, my friends. I hope you will not hesitate to introduce yourselves. It's been a long winter, and I know you are all eager to meet her. Tonight Lyra will take her to the Singing Stones and place her before our ancestors, to receive their blessing--as is tradition. I will remind you, that none are permitted to follow them. But enough of that... come! Meet my daughter!"
For the next few minutes, Binx was berated with sniffs and licks from each pack mate in turn, some at the same time. She didn't recognize any of them, but her mother assured her she'd learn each and every one in time. The last to approach her was a white she-wolf, a yellow pup at her heels.
"Heather," Lyra smiled, greeting the white-shewolf warmly. "It's been a long time, sister. How have you been?"
"Very well, Lyra--It's good to see you again," Heather smiled just as warmly. Binx could tell the two were close, and liked the white wolf immediately. "I've brought someone for Binx to meet--This is my son, Trevor."
Binx made eye contact with the sandy-colored pup behind the white wolf, wagging her tail in greeting. He was bigger than her, probably born during the previous spring. But still looked young enough to be a playmate.
"Trevor, go say hello," His mother instructed, nudging him out from behind her, and toward Binx.
The sandy pup flattened his ears slightly, obviously shy. He blushed lightly as he addressed the younger pup.
"Er... Hello, princess..." He mumbled, not meeting her curious gaze.
"Princess?" Binx cocked her head, looking back at her mother. "Mommy, am I a princess?"
Lyra laughed, "Been telling fairytales, have you Heather? Well, Binx... I suppose you are, if you'd like to be."
Binx wagged her small tail. She liked the sound of the word Princess, even if she didn't know exactly what it was. It sounded important, and pretty.
"Binx, would you like to play with Trevor for a bit? Me and your mother would like to talk about some things," Heather smiled, pushing her son forward again before walking off with Lyra to a shady part of the clearing where they could watch their pups in peace.
Binx turned excitedly to the pup in front of her. She'd tried to play with her mother during the winter time, but the den had been small, and hard for her mother to move and chase her in. Their games were short and squished, not at all fun. But now she had a playmate! And they were outside! Without hesitation, Binx bowed in the way her mother had taught her, wagging her tail at the older pup. Growling playfully, she leapt forward and nipped at his chin, antagonizing him.
At first, he was still shy, but a few nips here and their riled him to the point that he began to chase her this way and that, eventually tackling her and giving her a good bite to the nose. Then the two would laugh and start over, chasing and pouncing each other until the late afternoon.

When the sun began to touch the tree tops, the two pups were asleep under a nearby holly bush, exhausted by their afternoon of roughhousing.
"Binx... wake up darling, it's time for Trevor to go home now," Lyra's sweet voice woke the sleeping pup, who yawned and scooted out from the bush obediently. "And you and I are going to go somewhere special to sleep tonight."
Binx watched Heather pick up her pup, carrying him off to a nearby tree to nurse him and clean his messy pelt. She turned back to her mother, wonder in her eyes.
"We're not sleeping in the den tonight?" She asked.
"Not tonight, sweetheart," He mother licked the top of her head, smoothing some of the ruffled fur. "Tonight you and I are going to visit our ancestors, and sleep with their spirits so they can bless you."
"Bless me?" Binx cocked her small head. "But momma, I didn't sneeze."
Lyra laughed, "No, darling--a different kind of blessing. They're going to wish you a happy life, and a give you the strength and knowledge to be a good leader one day. Do you understand?"
The brown pup pouted, shaking her head in confusion. Her mother smiled and licked her again, making her smile.
"One day you will, love," Her mother assured, "Just know that tonight will be very special for you. Now come on, we'll need to move quickly if we're going to make it their in time."
Picking her pup up in her maw, Lyra made her way briskly out of the camp and into the pine forests that made up their home.

The sun had nearly set behind the mountains  when the mother and daughter pair reached their destination; another clearing, smaller than their camp, where four large stones stood erect, their surfaces worn smooth and marbled by time, and perhaps just a touch of magic. Lyra moved to the center of the four stones, setting her pup down calmly.
"We're here, little one," She murmured, curling around her drowsy daughter. Binx simply yawned in response, burying herself in her mother's soft fur, enjoying the smell of warm milk and pine as she began to drift. A gentle wind began to curl around the two she-wolves, curling and winding around the four stones, creating a small vortex. As it grew in speed, a soft sound began to resonate through the stones, a low hum that sounded almost like a soft song.
Lyra raised her head to the wind, closing her eyes as she felt the spirits of the alphas before her fill her very being with their power and wisdom, and added her own voice to their soft song. While her voice spoke no words, her soft howling made her meaning clear. This was their ancient language; the one every wolf knew from birth, and that everyone understood no matter their upbringing. A wolf's song.
Eventually, the wind ended its tune, dying down to a soft hum, before dissipating into nothing. Lyra sighed, content with the blessing, and laid her head next to her daughter. But sleep would not come to the she-wolf. Something was wrong... She raised her head again, scanning the tree line around the clearing, her nose wiggling as she tried to sniff out whatever it was that had set of her senses.
There! Something just to her left... a human? She peered closer, sniffing again. No... Nobody from the pack. The smell that hit her nose was rank--reminding her of death and blood. It sent the fur along her back bristling. She stood slowly, so as not to disturb her daughter, and turned to face the figure.
"Who are you?" she growled, tail high and fangs bared. "You're not meant to be here--this is sacred ground. Show yourself!"
"Sacred only to you, mutt," The figure chuckled, stepping from the shadows. Lyra's heart jumped as she recognized the ghastly form of a vampire. While true, they resembled humans at a glance, there was no mistaking their grotesque fangs and shifting eyes. Her growl grew, and she took a step back to create a barrier between the creature and Binx. 'I need to get her out of here...' she thought, maternal instincts flaring.
"This is Dire Pack territory!" She snapped, mouth beginning the froth. "Your kind are not allowed here! Leave at once, demon!"
"I don't think so~" The vampire hummed, sauntering closer. "You see, since the frost melted, preys been a bit scarce on our side. Normally, we can last a while without feeding but--well... it's been a long winter. I think I deserve a drink, don't you?"
“Mama….?”
Lyra’s head turned in dismay as the sleeping form of her child stirred, her daughter’s head lifting the blink at her in confusion.
“Ooh, what a cute little puppy you have there,” The vampire sneered, stepping closer. “My lucky day, isn’t it? Dinner and dessert.”
‘Binx! Run, darling! Hide somewhere, far from here!’ Lyra barked in her head, reaching out to her daughter telepathically. ‘Now, Binx!!!”
Binx got to her feet, surprised by her mother’s tone. She didn’t answer, still too young to have mastered the connection the pack shared through their hearts and minds, but began to slink away.
“Oh-ho-ho, where do you think you’re going little miss?” The vampire chuckled, lunging toward the pup’s retreating figure.
“Oh no you don’t!!” Lyra snarled, skidding between her daughter and the beast again. “Stay away from my daughter, you bastard!”
Binx yelped, the fear in her eyes spiking at the sudden attack, and her slow padding turned into a full-tilt run, her small legs bolting her away from the scene. Snarls and yelps, hisses and screeches—sounds of pain and anger echoed all around her as she ran, the noises haunting her small mind.
‘Mama….’ She managed to project amidst the chaos around her, tears spilling over and clouding her young eyes.

The morning sun rose slowly, ominously the next dawn. It’s red rays spread through the woods, providing little warmth, instead enveloping the forest in an uneasy chill. It brought with it an unwanted reality to the Dire Forest pack.
A low, desperate howl sounded through the trees, the message it carried full of worry and anguish. All around, noses were posed to the wet ground, searching—hoping—for a scent, a clue, anything that would lead to the missing wolves.
“Lyra… Binx…” Maithus whined, “Where are you…?”
When the mother and daughter pair had not returned during the early morning, the Alpha had immediately headed a search party for his beloveds. The overall stillness of the forest only increased his worry.
“Is there any sign of them?” He addressed a young male at his side, his dark orange fur matted and fluffed against the cold. He shook his head somberly.
“Alpha Maithus!”
The dark alpha turned, amber eyes hopeful as he was approached by a silver she-wolf, her blue eyes wide and mouth open in a harsh pant.
“Ash!” He greeted his best tracker, “What is it? What have you found?”
“Near… N-near the stones, Sire—“ She huffed, pain entering her eyes, “It’s Lyra… She’s...           --“
Maithus felt his heart stop, his pupils shrinking in utter disbelief. No…
“Lyra!” He cried, jumping into a full sprint in the direction of the sacred stones. ‘Oh, Lyra… Please, my love—please be alright!’
Though it took only moments for the great wolf to reach the stones, the seconds dragged with a mind-dulling slowness. And when he reached the rocks, time all but stopped. The sight before him made the alpha gag, his shoulder’s hunching as he retched. Blood… so much blood. The rocks dripped with the vile red liquid, oozing down their faces. He felt an illness like he’d never experienced before at the sight.
Gritting his teeth against the bile in his throat, Maithus searched around the hollow—though he prayed his eyes would never find what they were looking for. Heart pounding, his gaze followed the trail of red to the very center of the formation.
“No… N-No…!” He choked, falling to his knees. “L-Lyra…”
Before the alpha lay the huddled and massacred form of his beloved mate. Her body was torn, stripped and covered in blood. Whether it was all hers or not… the thought sickened him. She was curled, as though asleep, her fangs barred as if she were still fighting against whatever enemy brought this pain upon her.
“Lyra…” The alpha moaned, his body shifting to that of a human as he crawled toward his wife. He gently cradled her large sandy head in his arms, the tears blinding him from her mangled corpse. “No…. N-No….. NOOOOOOOO!!!!”
He screamed into her fur, burying himself into her amber mane. His fingers dug deep into her neck, unwilling to let go. He willed everything he had into her body, praying to the old gods that by some miracle his life force could bring her back.
“Lyra, please! Don’t leave me… not like this!” He howled in agony, “I love you so much—please, don’t leave me!” He sobbed, heart aching deeper as his pleas went unanswered. A sudden flame roared through his soul, its burning hatred consuming the man. “I swear, to you and to the great spirits… I’ll find who did this to you. I’ll find them and inflict your pain on them, ten fold! They’ll regret the day they took you from me… THEY’LL PAY FOR WHAT THEY DID!!”
“Daddy…?”
Maithus jerked away, tear-stained eyes wide as he gazed down to the apex of Lyra’s legs. Her pelt matted with so much blood, hindering her unrecognizable, lay a shivering and traumatized Binx. Sometime in the night, she had managed to find her way back to the clearing, back to her mother…
“B-Binx…” Maithus chocked, reaching forward to scoop the small puppy into his arms. An overwhelming flood of happiness and relief overtook the alpha, and he held his daughter to his face, his body racked with grateful sobs. “You’re alive… thank the gods, you’re alive…”
“Daddy…” the pup sobbed in return.

/Chapter end.
Kyra

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top