Yo.
Chatbox

Backup Cbox

Steven Universe Discussion - Pearl

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Steven Universe Discussion - Pearl

Post by Kinalara on Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:17 am

So, I am honestly curious.

How many people on this website that watch Steven Universe hate Pearl? Apparently, there's a lot of that going around right now on the internet fanbase of the show.

Admittedly I have yet to catch all the way up in SU, so there are likely things I have missed, but I honestly don't see Pearl's flaws as reason to hate her character in general. If anything I think it gives her a good ground on which to grow from- which makes for an interesting character with a lot of potential.
And I suppose it helps that I relate to some of her insecurity- albeit in different ways.

What do you guys think?
Kinalara

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Steven Universe Discussion - Pearl

Post by Cecila on Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:41 am

Ah yes
I can do this.

Tumblr is really bad about their "problematic" characters.  For some people, if a character has some bad traits, it makes them a bad person, and then equally a bad character.

None of those have to equal each other.  No person in reality is perfect, and so its only admirable when a show like Steven Universe shows someone like Pearl in a cast.  She has her insecurities and loyalties, and, I won't spoil the recent episodes for you, makes some pretty bad mistakes every now and again.

Take away that depth, and what is she?  A frantic bird mom that has some sort of anxiety about cleaning.  You know, an archetype.  Static and flat.

The depth is what makes her character shine.  I think it's really important to show kids that even thousand year old space rocks have problems, but that those problems don't reduce her to a villain.  Showing that wrong decisions =/= evil is a great lesson, especially when the character is trying their best to make things better.

I personally would love to see more of her history.  Find out her origins maybe.  I see some really interesting theories revolving around her being a lower caste than other gems?  Perhaps even artificially made (gathered by the fact that pearls aren't actually gemstones, but organic rejections from shellfish).

Also I think it's really weird how people seem to be hating on Pearl but love Peridot for some reason.
Cecila
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kinalara on Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:18 am

And Jasper! Who's a pretty shitty person too, tbh.
If good character design and interesting personality can save those characters- why can't it save Pearl? Who had had infinitely more time to make an interesting character out of herself than either of those two.
Kinalara

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kinalara on Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:18 am

(On my phone at the dentist office before the procedure- thug lyfe)
Kinalara

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by lil'trash on Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:34 am

i love pearl, so much like omg. but she has seriously fucked up. but all the gems have. thats what makes them so wonderful. just how fucking human they are. for adults watching the show these characters are in relatable situations that you or someone you know have been some how been involved in before. for kids watching the show its like 'if these thousands of years old space rocks fuck up sometimes, its okay if my family, my friends, or i fuck up a few times in my decades of life. everyone makes mistakes.' but with less profanity...
so yeah basically what bb said. she is an intriguing character with a very full and growing depth.
lil'trash

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kage on Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:20 pm

She just fucked up really bad and people blow up over it. I honestly cannot even go into the internet and look up fandoms that I'm in to because people ruin them for me. It's stupid.

But back to Pearl. She fucked up in the recent episode, and, honestly, all the gems fuck up. I don't know why people are blowing her thing up more than any other gem issue- I mean- it was a big flaw- but they're all flawed in their own ways. *shrug* I like Pearl, I like everyone in this show.
Kage
Admin

View user profile http://www.furaffinity.net/user/lethargicdeer/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top